Friday, April 28, 2006

On Jolie

Yup, I'm talking of none other than Angelina Jolie. Most of us know her as the hot, sultry woman in Tomb Raider, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, smoking up the screen with... everything she's got. I'll even admit she was one of the few actresses I looked at and had to do a double take just to get another look haha, I guess there's something about her. Something sensual? Exotic? Enchanting? Probably. I like to call it a strenght within that just radiates out of her. A confidence, a feeling that you could trust her and a mystery that doesn't send out sexual innuendos, no. But a mystery that makes her more human - like there is a reality in all that glamour. That isn't the point of this entry though. It's more of a growing admiration for a woman who is giving her all to people who need everything they can get. Currently, she's in Namibia, pregnant with Brad Pitt's child and doing what she loves in a place she loves, taking care of others, when she is the one who needs to be taken care of at the moment. I watched her latest interview with a reporter about her work there, her to-be-born child and her mission. Hearing her speak itself is amazing. She's passionate about what she's doing, modest and as down-to-earth about it as possible. I guess I relate more to what she's saying because I myself love doing what she's doing. And sort of watching her juggling her personal and professional life at the same time gives me hope that I too, will be able to do all that I want to do. My spring break in New Orleans was a breather from the regular, fast-paced life of an average college student and I hope I'll be able to keep doing similar things... really hope, as my major has nothing to do with helping people. Sure, probably create the next smallest nanochip or whatever, but polluting the environs in the process is some way or the other. Ironic huh. Jolie's an actress. Still is. She's still doing it all. It no doubt, makes you want to know more about her - to look past fan sites that portray her as every other "HOT HOLLYWOOD STAR!!!" and to recognize her efforts. In educating people. In helping out children, refugees. And you know what the sad part is... most people would still view her as Lara Croft, "can't get enough" of her pictures in leather and lace. Maybe appreciate her for one second, but forget about it all the next. Like a lot of people out there get motivated to do something for that second and snap! back to their own lives. Who wants to do all that when there's so much to do at home itself? Who wants to do all that when our bosses are constantly harping or making our lives a living hell? And who wants to do it when exams and quizzes won't give us a break? Truthfully speaking, no one should in that case... it's more spiritual or a matter of the heart, if you may call it, when you do such things. A peace, a happiness that consumes oneself after doing all that. It is true. There does exist such a thing. Opening our minds, educating ourselves if not others, is important. There is really so much to learn, so much to see, that we would need a lot more lifetimes to do it all. Being in New Orleans made me, made all of us down there feel so small. So helpless. It disheartened us at the thought of all the work that needed to be done. But only for a second. We thought, If not now, then when? If people kept getting discouraged, would all the dreams of all these people ever come true? Would we ever get a "peaceful" world? And by peaceful I don't mean a world with no wars or whatever non-violence leaders define it as. It's the peacefulness of the minds of other people. And it'll only come about when we realize it's about giving more than what you get. I'm not saying everyone should go to Africa, New Orleans or any other place that needs us, but we need to start thinking about it. Yes, hardly do we get time to think about anything other than our work, social outings, parties or getting that personal high to satisfy us for that one moment. And not thinking comes so easy to a few people it truely is incredible. Something that doesn't suit them, or doesn't comply with their regular lives is not to be given a thought eh. Neverthless we all have grey cells. Hightime we put it to use when our bodies are able and fit enough to do something. Think about it. Even if it is for a few minutes. Not everyone can become an activist or a social worker. But acting on your thoughts... take college students for example. Summer breaks, spring breaks - they are such good opportunities to travel, even if it is to Louisiana, Mexico, Chile, or some other city/country which isn't as developed or is struck by a natural disaster, and volunteer and help others. Even if it is only once. Money shouldn't be an issue as I've seen a lot of people out there ready to fund a good cause. And by a lot I really do mean a lot. People who work, have money, should fund a child's education, or make a child's dream come true (like Make A Wish foundation tries to do). It's great how certain scholarships require certain number of community hours to be renewed every year. All the hours make you feel differently - about your life, your friends, people who you interact with on a daily basis, your coursework. And definitely sets priorities straight - atleast for me it did... It made me realize a lot about my life in general, about my "friends", people who mattered to me and people who didn't really need all the attention I was giving to them and yeah, a craving to do more. In all, it defines you as a better human being if nothing else...

That being said, I guess I rambled off a little there. If given a chance I'd bore you with more of my thoughts, but this is it I guess for the night. Do take the time and watch Jolie's video. You'll love listening to her :) I especially liked all of her videos where she spoke of her work. If a person is passionate about something, it definitely sounds a whole lot better when they're doing the talking heh. And I know you will agree with her belief that there is a potential is everyone to do something. I'd love to create an aud blog right here, right now instead of having said all that... but inconviniences hold me back. Typing fatigue for one. Ohhh, do visit our Orleans website too. It was my idea basically... so I need to atleast advertize it somewhere. Ah, Angelina Jolie. Jolie... I guess this is how it feels when you have someone to look up to for the first time in your life. Almost like a role-model eh.

15 comments:

Mia said...

thank ya :) and no you aren't uncaring or unkind. Just a tad lazy ;)

Unknown said...

im neither uncaring, nor unkind, NOR lazy. HMPH!

and yes, i like to brag abt me financing the education of abt 5 kids from the DPS evenin school for slum children.

Anonymous said...

oh girl, only orleans? you need to tell us how much time you RLY spend on all this ;-)

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

hey girl, neat post! and neater work! :)
i saw the pics of Orleans and the blog! Keep up the good work and keep exhorting ppl to do the good work: some of them out there need it to get out of their lazy mode! :D

Anonymous said...

touche it makes Ang more hawt ;) a very interesting read indeed. I browsed through a lot of artcles today for a paper and your entry reminds me so much of wht I'm writing about. personally I'm not activist material but I would do something in the months to come. like you said it would be a break from the self-occupied world. great New Orleans website too babe :)


btw, ya mind if I quote ya in my paper? lol

Mia said...

ahh, I remember that Dreamer - something Chona started eh? It's a good cause yes, go ahead and brag about it :)


shhhhhhhhhhhhh Rhea hun... blogs have ears! and naah, not that much time is spent on it. Just to my heart's content :P


lol ehorting people Moi?!?! if ya say so, I shall *grins*

aw, AnonymouslyUrs... if I may point out ladies, he's the guy who's never short of compliments :) and of course, you can quote me. In person or from here, it's up to you ;)

Mia said...

exhorting* damn lol

Anonymous said...

ITS PADMASHREE DR. Mrs SHYAMA CHONA!

Mia said...

Chona.

...

:P nice try with the Anonymous Dreamer lol

Unknown said...

lol forgot to sign in

PADMASHREE DR. MRS. SHYAMA CHONA!

Random said...

what does one say...credit where credit is due or be more cynical and call it a popularity ploy?

reading ur blog after a long time...gotta a lot to catch up on

Anonymous said...

heeeeeeey you! I'm so proud of ya :) never stop what you do (and I don't know what else to say haha)

Anonymous said...

nachochips?

Anonymous said...

how about me and you volunteering "together"?

Mia said...

of course it counts Miles... that was sooo sweet of ya :D lol yup, got the pics (today) and opened my mail (today) and I am running out of sarcasm huh? maybe once I turn anti-social (soon enough) it'll pop back up.

long time no see Ravin! never heard of tht quote, but it's something to think about. I should add ya to my links, so that I check up on your blog every once ina while :)

HAHAHahahehehe... NANOchips Cross, nano. I'm actually done with my volunteer hrs for the year :( sucks I know, but I might go for one next weekend for "kicks". I'll let ya know ;)