Saturday, January 21, 2006

Drinking to Get Drunk

That apparently is the new trend at college. Everyone does it - from first year students to fifth year seniors (at least the latter are officially allowed).

Its like you drink just because your friends are, 'cuz you want to go with the crowd, or wish want to taste it (just once? twice?) or (this one's a classic) its a part of "college experience".

Yeah right.

Like any other sober kid on campus, I'm not against drinking or booze in general. Its the number of bottles that go down that is scary. I agree drinking is a social thing, that people do it in clubs, bars, at home when they're with someone or just kicking back after a long day at work. I myself did it a couple of times, but it was at home where I could make sure I didn't get carried away and be cautious of the way I behaved. It was with friends, we all had fun, watched TV, played games, talked and didn't "lose it". Few might consider it "boring" or "whats the big deal anyway. Home or bar, you're still with friends and having a good time". Sure, but you're not drinking responsibly. If you can differentiate between that, great!

I used to always tell (or rather challenge) my parents that it was better to drink a few glasses of whatever they were having with them, rather than me going out and them finding me passed out on the couch in the morn. They didn't object, even though I was 16 then. Plus, I made it a point not to take advantage of their trust and have more than a few sips. It just made me giddy thinking I was "growing up" and was "one of the adults". At 18, my half glass has remained the same but I can now taste a larger variety. Parents should themselves introduce their children to such things, instead of the teens going out in the world and drinking on their own. And there are so many types of drinks... its amazing. Wine-tasting is my favorite. We have one every month at our university (though I haven't gone to one...yet) for a few bucks. So you see? THATS developing a taste. Guzzling down booze for over an hour isn't fun. Or is it? If you think it is... well, I really don't know what to say. I could go on and on about the horrendous things such heavy drinking does to one's liver, immune system and your senses, but I guess you've probably heard it all. And by heavy drinking I don't exclude binge drinking, like drinking once a week (but again, drinking to get drunk).

Keep it simple. Keep a limit. So that you don't end up doing something, saying something that you wouldn't under normal circumstances. When drunk, you're hardly in your senses. Its almost like anyone can get you to do or say something that you don't want to. But you do... because you feel "above all the shyness and conflicting emotions" (which is NOT good and trust me, it makes one look like a careless person and someone not in control). So why allow it? Why place yourself in such a position? Where people can take advantage of your state or simply put, manage YOUR life for a few minutes! Sounds revolting, doesn't it? It does to me. No sane person would want anyone else taking over their mind/actions/words even for a second.

A person can have fun. And still drink with friends or alone. And chill out. And not get wasted. Ask yourself, is there any part of getting drunk that is "fun"? Or relaxing? And then go for that fifth beer can.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

never tried alcohol .............
......................................
.......................

--Dreamer.

Mia said...

GOOD FOR YOU Dreamer! hehe I can assure you, you ain't missing out on anything :)

you are ghey Miles ;) kidding! s0b3r kids rock!

Rishabh Kaul said...

i guess this is an old story but, i got drunk on the eve of my physics exam and managed to get a 57 outta 60. lol. i never tried that again.

Mia said...

aww @ never tried that again :P haha

you go rishabh!